SCA Introduction to Coffee
Introduction to Coffee is an ideal course for anyone who is new to the coffee industry or just has an interest in this wonderful drink. It charts coffee’s journey from its origins in Ethiopia to the major commodity it is today, enjoyed by millions of people around the world. From coffee process, roasting, brewing to tasting, this course gives a general overview of coffee’s supply chain. This half day course also includes a “coffee cupping” which allows you to taste the various flavors of coffee.
Espresso blends, single origins and micro lots
- First of all we will introduce Specialty Coffee - What is it exactly?
- We will look at the origins and geography of coffee
- Introduce the different species and varieties of coffee and how they differ as well as the shelf life of coffee and how to best store it
- We will introduce you to growing, harvesting, processing and their impact on taste and quality
- We will touch on the core elements of roasting and the important role this plays
- We introduce you to some brewing methods - espresso & manual filter and the differences together -with some important guidelines to follow
- You will experience a cupping exercise and learn the basics of how coffee is assessed
- You will be tasting lots of coffee!
As with most of our courses, if you are choosing to have the course accredited, please bring a pen and pad in order to make notes throughout.
With the Introduction to Coffee course you have to OPTION of sitting a short written SCA examination at the end of the course. There is no practical assessment on this course. Why become accredited?
Duration: 2 days (including written and practical exam)